Saturday, September 02, 2006

SMLE No4 Mk 1* Range Report

I took my new toy out to the range today. Here's the short story first, it shoots like the dickens! It shoots much better than I at any rate. Using the 300 yd appeture I was able to get a good 4 MOA at 100 yd's by shooting about a foot and a half low. It's official folks, I have a keeper!

I shot just over fifty of my freshly rolled hand loads I made last weekend. This is a reduced power load from Speer #12.

CCI Magnum large Rifle Primer
44 gr H380 ball powder
123 gr Hornady SJSP .310 diameter
...and last but not least, the .303 British brass I got at the last gun show.

Each shot was well under .20 and my handloads worked like a charm. I have to admit to being a little apprehensive when I shot the first one, but it worked fine and so did all the others I shot today.

Next on the list: A micrometer rear sight, fix the flaky safety and buy a sling. Oh yeah, and buy more brass!

Here's a couple of pictures from todays outing! The first one is me and my new toy. I'm holding up one of my handloads for the camera. As you can probably tell, I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment. The second picture is string of ten and the third is a string of twenty. Thanks to Jeffersonian for taking these and sending them to me. Thanks also to him in his instruction and assistance, they are much appreciated.


No comments: